Monday, August 14, 2017

Memory Grove

After dinner last night, Layton suggested we go to Memory Grove Park up by the Capital.  I had never been there and Layton went last week on his work’s “sketch trip” (they do all sorts of fun activities during the lunch hour like driving somewhere cool and sketching, or volleyball, or other team building activities) and had loved it.  I was excited to go since I’d grown up in Salt Lake City but had never been there. 

It’s a long skinny park that is parallel to the Capital, but on a much lower elevation.  There’s a nice walk way and grass, and a river that feeds into a little pond.  There is a beautiful Greek/Roman looking structure called the Meditation Chapel.  Unfortunately, it was closed and we weren’t able to go inside.  We peeked through the front doors that had glass panes and could see the beautiful stained glass windows and ornate ceiling but I wish we had been able to go in.

It’s an off leash dog park so there were tons of adorable dogs running around and Wesley loved every minute of it.  He is obsessed with dogs and it makes me really happy.  Even though I don’t want a dog myself, I’m just happy he isn’t afraid of them and he is so cute with how excited he gets about them.

We walked up the path, past the pond and came across the river portion.  Layton and Wesley took of their shoes and walked through it; Wes was a total champ and walked for several yards before he was done.  He is a total water baby and I am so happy about it.  We kept walking up the paved path for a little ways before deciding to turn around and head home.

As we walked back down the path, Wesley came across a little acorn hat and then became obsessed with throwing it and chasing it, picking it up and throwing it again.  We were walking on this cobble stoned path that tripped him up a few times, once he fell and his legs flew up as he smacked his head, Layton and I both gasped and were ready for the screaming tears, but they never came! He jumped right up and continued to look for the acorn hat.  We were so surprised and laughed because it looked like it had hurt a lot but he was just way too concerned about getting that acorn hat back. 


The weather was beautiful and warm, and I said happy I was that we had gone out and gone to the park to walk around and play.  I mentioned that there are now fewer warm months than cold left in the year so we needed to make the most of it.  I love these special nights that aren’t extra fancy, but feel like they really matter and will be something I will always cherish.  





No comments:

Post a Comment