Thursday, May 18, 2017

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies


So there's this cookie that has been circulating around the internet world for the past few months.  It is the Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie (they are located in NYC).  Apparently it is one of the best cccs in the world - in the WORLD?? That's a big statement.  Especially because people all have different preferences.  i've been thinking about this lately that to say something is the best is kind of risky since everyone is so different and has a different preference.  Anyways, several food bloggers have set out on the journey to create a recipe that recreates this cookie at home.  I had a big hankering for a ccc the other day and I had seen one of the food bloggers I follow on Instagram post her copycat recipe that day so I went for it.  These cookies are baked in ginormous mounds (6 oz to be exact which is UUUUUGE!) but they stay mounded and get golden and crispy on the outside but still doughy and soft on the inside.  I did mine without walnuts because I didn't have any and she gives you a revised recipe for just plain cccs without the walnuts.  Honestly though, I really really wished that I had used walnuts because it would have given the cookies a very nice texture and flavor to break up the overwhelminginess of the sweet dough and chocolate chips. 

The recipe calls for 4 C choco chips if you're doing it without the walnuts instead of 2 C choco chips, 2 C walnuts.  I only did 2  C choco chips (4 is just way too many) so I wasn't replacing the exact volume of the original recipe so my cookies flattened a bit (they weren't the very tall mounds that is what a Levain cookie normally looks like).  I also wish I had baked them at a bit of a higher temperature and a tiny bit longer to get the outside darker and crispier.  But overall, a great ccc! Honestly, it just felt like a regular ccc but larger and doughy inside.  I baked 4 6 oz cookies and then 9 2 oz cookies (the recipe says it should make 8 6 oz cookies, but mine would have only made 7, idk if that's because I didn't add in those extra 2 C of choco chips or what).  Anyways, the smaller cookies looked like what I think a perfect ccc should look like.  The recipe was extremely easy to follow and I didn't even have to take the butter out early to get it to room temp! I use a kitchenaid stand mixer so it's powerful enough to whip cold butter so I think this will for sure be my new go to ccc recipe. 

To view the recipe go to abountifulkitchen.com and look under recipes >> desserts. 

Like I said, I didn't follow it exactly, but it is a great recipe for a great ccc and it is super easy to follow.  I could probably do it without even looking at the instructions and I've only looked at it once.  A Bountiful Kitchen has TONS of yummy recipes so check it all out!


No comments:

Post a Comment