Friday, December 16, 2016

Christmas Favorites

I don't know what is sparking me to want to write this, maybe it's just that I love lists, and Christmas.  Whatever it is, here is my Christmas Favorites list:

Favorite Christmas Song: Joel The Lump of Coal by The Killers and Christmas In The Room by Sufjan Stevens.  Completely unconventional but both are so amazing.  If you haven't heard them go give them a listen (especially Joel The Lump of Coal and watch the music vid with Jimmy Kimmel, it is the best!).

Favorite Christmas Movie: NONE.  I honestly don't dig Christmas movies... I feel like there are no good ones anymore.  My most recent favorite movie though is Hunt For The Wilderpeople.  Again, if you haven't seen it, GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW! You will be so happy you did.

Favorite Christmas Hymn:  This one is a toughie, I love With Wondering Awe and I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day.  I don't know if In The Bleak Mid-winter counts as a Hymn, but that's another fav.

Favorite Christmas Decoration:  This year it's my "Happy Christmas" sign with these adorable lights on this completely bendable wire.  They seem to be pretty hip (I see them EVERYWHERE) but I seriously had no idea they were so hip when I got them.  It makes me so happy every time I look up at see it.

Favorite Christmas Tradition:  I have two:  First, Gingerbread houses.  The Gingerbread houses my family does every year right after Thanksgiving.  And we are legit.  Handmade gingerbread and all of our creations are from scratch.  No premade nothin' (except for all the candy).  I absolutely LOVE this tradition and although many people do gingerbread houses, ain't nobody that does them like we do. Second is Chinese food on Christmas Eve.  We've been doing this as long as I can remember.  We basically invite everyone in our family, their friends and then their friends.  Basically, ANYONE is invited and it is a PARTY.  We order TONS of Chinese food, eat to our hearts content, act out the Nativity as my dad reads it from St. Luke, gather around the piano and sing all the Christmas hymns, open up our presents of Christmas pajamas and put in a movie to finish it up.  Just typing and rereading it warms my heart.

Favorite Band that does Christmas songs: Michael Buble (he's not a band no but ya know), The Lower Lights, and I am sooo happy to announce that Carly Rae Jepsen has a Christmas song this year! Probably the lamest Christmas song but whatevs.  She works it so hard.

Favorite Christmas food: hmmm.... I just love all the homemade treats everyone gives! Caramels, peppermint bark, sugar cookies, toffee, oh and of course clementines and pistachios always signal Christmas is around the corner to me.

Favorite Christmas App: Kind of joking on this one, the only one I've ever used was virtual mistletoe so I could get Layton to kiss me under it.

Favorite way to spend Christmas: With my family (obvi).  Since Layton and i have been married we have done all our Christmas mornings together and I love it that way.  Then we head to his family's house and spend the whole day there just playing, eating, relaxing and enjoying allll the company.

If you have any other favorites you would like me to mention, let me know!

Posing with my gingerbread house. My sister and I seriously moved all around the room to get good light and this is the pic.... haha it was super funny.

The Lower Lights Christmas Concert! 


Wes loved seeing the trains.


He got SEVEN shots at his one year checkup. It was rough on all. But now at his 15 month he doesn't have to get any!





This is what I mean about our gingerbread houses... Mine was less intricate this year than usual, I get tired when I have to do one alone, I do much better when someone does it with me. 


:'D

:'D







No comments:

Post a Comment