Thursday, November 17, 2016

Oxford commas and spicy food

After my last "heavy" post, I thought I could talk about something a little more light.  Other things that have been on my mind that other people have an opinion about, but nothing major.  These things are Oxford commas, spicy food, and cooking in general.  Ha, I just noticed that I used an Oxford comma in that sentence so let's get right to it!

I am an oxford comma user.  I'm actually not even sure if you're supposed to capitalize oxford when referring to the oxford comma... anyways.  I did some research, read some articles, both in favor and not in favor of the comma, and I AM  A COMMA USER! I read some sentences and paragraphs with minimal or no commas, and I HATED them.  It gave me anxiety.  I actually have been like this for years. I'm just realizing this because the scriptures, specifically the Book of Mormon, often has these super long, run on sentences with no commas and I like have to skip to the end before finishing to see how (if) it ends!  It drives me nuts.  There will be verses that go on and on and on and I'm like, I'm not even taking this in because I need to know how this concludes! Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

There are like cult followings for each way to write, with oxford commas or commas at all, or without commas.  I am clearly in the cult FOR oxford commas (and commas in general).  I just feel like, that's how you talk.  You don't talk like this without any commas which represent breaths or a break in your talking when you're actually talking to someone and you need to take a break or if you're describing objects or events that occurred you use a break or a breath in your talking so I think you should use a comma.  Wow... that sentence was so hard to write. Point is, commas, I don't care of they look like some little specimen.  I love them and I use them.

Spicy food.  It is something that I have been wanting more of lately, even though I can't really handle all that much heat.  I have found myself enjoying it more and I wish my mouth could handle more.  Layton loves spicy food and it's always a bit of a struggle to make food that is spicy enough for him but not too spicy for me.  He sometimes ends up adding cholula or something spicy to increase the heat level.  I just don't want to make something and the not be able to eat it, so I make sure to monitor how much heat/spice I'm adding so that it won't destroy my mouth.  I made an incredibly tasty curry and coconut noodle soup last week.  The recipe can be found on The Woks of Life. It seriously was super fast to make and was divine.  I added 1/3 of the amount of red curry paste because I was very afraid of making it too spicy, but it was actually a little too mild.  Layton ended up adding curry powder and I think cholula to make it spicier.  Now I know.

I have been enjoying cooking more and more.  It's exciting to me to look for recipes, make the lists and shop for the ingredients.  Then I cook up a storm (it literally looks like a hurricane went through our kitchen sometimes after I cook) for us.  It's become something I really like and it's fun to tell people I like to cook.  Lots of people hate it (which I can totally understand, I used to feel that way too).  I think it can become a skill of looking for the right recipes, understanding the time it takes and just how to cook.  I've become better and better and now I'm enjoying it more.  Plus, I love home cooked meals and it's important to me to have a hot dinner.

These pictures don't have anything to do with this post, but I want to post some pics to go along with this because we all know those are the best part ;).






How I can sometimes get ready in the morning - he will sometimes sit still for a movie and I can be left in peace.  









First snow of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment